Cameron Stephen teaches at Cy-Fair High School in the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District located in Cypress, Texas. He has taught there since 2000 and has served as the department chair of Foreign Languages since 2009. He has taught Pre-AP Spanish and AP Spanish Language since his first day in the classroom at Cy-Fair and was responsible for re-starting the Native Speakers program at the school in 2001 and started the AP Spanish Literature program in 2002.
His passion for teaching was born while serving a mission for his church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to the Dominican Republic from 1994 to 1996. Upon returning home, Cameron graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish Literature from the University of Utah in 2000 and then completed a Master of Arts degree in Spanish Literature from the University of Houston in 2009.
He has served as a reader for the AP Spanish Literature exam since 2005, a Table Leader since 2009, and as a Question Leader since 2015. He has been a College Board Consultant since 2011, conducting workshops and summer institutes all over the country. From 2012-2019, he was a member of the College Board’s Test Development Committee for AP Spanish Literature & Culture serving as the high school co-chair of the committee from 2015-2019. In 2016, he received the prestigious Outstanding Teacher of the Humanities award from Texas Humanities, the state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Recursos didácticos para la enseñanza de la primera crónica europea de Texas: La relación por Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca. Houston, 2009. (Master’s Thesis available through the Library of Congress and the Department of Hispanic Studies at the University of Houston)
- Las sociedades en contacto: perspectivas del imperialismo. New York: The College Board, 2012. (Professional Development Curriculum Module)
- AP Spanish Language & Culture: Changes in the Natural Environment. New York, The College Board, 2017. (Service Learning Curriculum Module)
- AP Spanish Literature & Culture Course & Exam Description. New York, The College Board, 2019.
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese
- American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Texas Foreign Language Association
- Texas State Teachers Association
- National Eagle Scouts Association