- College Board endorsed consultant for AP Chemistry
- This session is offered in Event 1:June 20-23 Tuesday through Friday
- The 2023 WaltonAPSI will observe the Juneteenth Federal Holiday Monday, June 19th. Our Event 1 will run Tuesday through Friday June 20-23, 2023.
- We also offer AP Chemistry during our Event 2: June 26-29, 2023, Monday through Thursday.
Meet your APSI Consultant for AP Chemistry Event 1
Paul D. Price is the Science Department Chairman at Trinity Valley School in Fort Worth, Texas, where he has taught chemistry, AP Chemistry, physics, and AP Physics since 1998. He earned a B.S. in Chemistry and Mathematics from Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas and an M.S. in Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Rumor has it that Paul’s courses are difficult because he is a stickler for understanding “the why” in chemistry.
Fortunately, students say his classes are always entertaining. In 2004 the Dallas-Fort Worth Section of the American Chemical Society honored Paul with the Werner Schulz Award for Outstanding High School Chemistry Teaching. He has also been awarded the ACS Southwest Region Teacher of the Year in 2005 and was named one of the top teachers in Fort Worth by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine in 2014. Paul is co-author of two chemistry laboratory manuals, an author and reviewer for the Journal of Chemical Education, and a frequent presenter at regional and national conferences, often discussing techniques to improve molecular-level problem solving skills. Paul is also a question leader at the annual AP Chemistry reading and served as a member of the AP Chemistry Test Development Committee for 10 years. Currently, he is working in helping to develop the Pre-AP Chemistry course for the College Board. Away from school, Paul enjoys spending time with his wife, Lenore, and seeing the world through the eyes of his two children, Micah and Kiersten. He can be reached anytime at pricep@trinity valleyschool.org
AP Chemistry Online APSI Course description
In this one-week workshop for we will explore and practice the skills and content students will need to be successful in AP Chemistry. Emphasis will be placed on bonding, intermolecular forces, thermodynamics, kinetics, and equilibrium, with the level of detail on each topic dictated by participant needs. We will also spend significant time on strategies for helping students “bring it all together”, as the application of the fundamental principles of chemistry is the single biggest skill students need for success.
Although we will be virtual, we will leverage tools and tricks developed during the pandemic to maximize laboratory time in a virtual environment. Each participant will receive a mini laboratory manual that will cover the majority of experiments needed to be successful in AP Chemistry. Activities are designed to be completed in a 45-50 minute lab period with common chemicals.
The brief syllabus below outlines the general themes for our time together. However, our time is by far the most valuable resource we have during our week, and I will poll you to see which areas of content are most important to us as a group, as one week goes very quickly. The goal here is for you to leave the week as informed and well-prepared as possible. With two-decades of experience teaching the course and 15 years in reading and test development with College Board and ETS, I have created a broad range of materials that will engage both the new and seasoned teacher. I am excited to work with you this summer and help you build the best experience for your students!
• Beginning with the end in mind – a review of AP Questions Integrating Content and skills
• Understanding the science practices
• The role of the CED and the Lab
• Content Deep Dive I – Spectroscopy, and Intro Kinetics
• Exploring the Unit Structure of the CED
• Representations in Chemistry
• Content Deep Dive: Bonding and IMF
• Understanding the PPC’s
• Planning your course
• Content Deep Dive III – Thermodynamics
• Content Deep Dive IV – Kinetics and Mechanisms
• Content Deep Dive V – Basic Equilibrium
• Content Deep Dive VI – Acid Base Equilibrium
• Understanding and Scoring the AP Exam
• Reviewing available resources (AP Question Bank, Course Audit, and The Teacher Community)